Monday, May 11, 2009

My ring returned!

Ask any reporter, and they'll tell you they're used to seeing the worst in people.

But today, I got to see the best in someone!

The story begins last Wednesday. As I covered the swine flu scare in Hillsborough County, I spent the morning at Wilson Middle School in Tampa. Custodians were inside the school, scouring the whole building for potential contamination.

After we got all the video we needed, I went next door to ask to use the restroom.



It was a law firm. A friendly, talkative lady answered the door and let me in. I used the restroom, said a quick 'thank you,' and then left. I had to get ready for my noon liveshot.

Five days later, I got a voicemail from the same lady. I learned her name is Janelle Walkley, and she's an attorney at Walkley & Walkley. She said she'd been looking for me for days. Turns out, I'd left a silver mesh ring in her restroom.

I couldn't believe it. In fact, I hadn't even realized I'd lost the ring. But as soon as I heard her words, I longed for it. It is a beloved keepsake that my husband bought me in San Francisco.



Dumbfounded, I asked how she found me. After all, I hadn't given her a business card or even my name. She said she'd called every news station in Tampa Bay, asking for a "tall blonde" reporter. She spoke to several people including one reporter at ABC Action News, who rattled off a list of names.

Lucky for me, Janelle's boisterous voice eventually found its way to the dark abyss of my voicemail. So today, I stopped by the firm to say 'hello,' 'how are you' and 'thank you.'

And of course, I got to pick up my ring.

I told Janelle I wanted to take a picture with her, but she said she looked a mess and would rather just take one of me. I agreed and posed jubilantly with my recently-reacquired, newly-appreciated ring.

But it wasn't just the ring I was wearing.

Plastered on my face you can also see a glow of hopefulness, as I realized that there are still good people, make that Good Samaritans, out there.




Thanks, Janelle!

No comments:

Post a Comment